Wednesday 27 July 2011

MIFF 2011 Day Three

Four of the five films I watched on day three (Sunday 24th July) covered things such as philosophy and the human psyche/mind.
Worst film of the day – Fruit of Paradise. A 1970 Czechoslovakian film (according to one of my Czech friends - Mariana, the film’s title actually translates into English "We eat/are eating the fruit of the trees from/of Paradise"). The style of the film could be termed new wave/Avant-garde. While I did not see any really bad films this day, the film did not connect well with me,  possibly because of my state of mind. By that I mean if I was of a state of mind of the time period the film was made in as opposed to my mind state being of the 21st century I may have gotten into it better.
Best film of the day – 13 Assassins. I have a soft spot for samurai flicks and I usually enjoy the works of Takashi Miike so a Samurai film directed by him was a real treat. I thoroughly enjoyed this. While this could be compared to Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai it’s actually a remake of a film by the same title. As to how this film compares to that one as opposed to Seven Samurai, I’m not sure. I intend to track down the original (if it exists with English subs) and watch it. One of the characters did remind me of Toshiro Mifune’s character so this could partly be the reason for comparison.
Did not see any sign on “ninja blood letting technique*”, although in one scene where someone is blown up there are buckets of blood that come over the rooftop and rain down.

*Ninja blood letting technique was an expression coined by myself & friends to describe the amount of blood that fountained out of people, mainly ninja, in films such as the Lone Wolf and Cub series (also known as Shogun Assassin)

No comments:

Post a Comment